Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Have Faith. End Hunger.

Greetings!

I have matured so much this week with respect to my personal platform: domestic hunger awareness. While fasting on Thursday, I devoted my time usually spent eating meals to listening to an amazing speaker, Greg Sims.

Greg is the Southeast Field Organizer for a faith based group called Bread for the World that works to end hunger and empower citizens to communicate with their local politicians so that ending hunger is a priority among our nation's leaders. Greg (who asked me to not call him 'Mr. Sims') spoke to a few students from the Committee of 19 at Auburn and anyone else who was interested about advocacy and awareness.



He could have not chosen a more fitting audience for this topic. As students, we are continually puzzled by reaching our fellow Auburn men and women as well as the rest of the state, country, and world. Awareness and advocacy are especially important to me as I work to fight domestic hunger and encourage others to do the same. Greg had a lot of amazing ideas that are sure to be implemented here at Auburn very soon, and he shed some light on contacting local senators and congressmen and encouraging them to support hunger relief efforts.

I would also like to remind everyone that the Miss Auburn University Pancake Breakfast is THIS SATURDAY! Come join us at Longhorn Steakhouse in Tiger Town from 7:30 to 10:00 for a fabulous breakfast. Tickets are only $5.00 and are still on sale from myself or in Room 3130 of the Student Center; they will also be sold at the door that morning. It should be a lot of fun and a great way to kick off A-day in Auburn!



 With Love & War Eagle,
Emilee

No comments:

Post a Comment