Thursday, February 10, 2011

An Exciting New Chapter!

Greetings!
 The overwhelming gratitude and happiness I feel after being crowned Miss Auburn University 2011 has certainly not settled yet! I am incredibly excited to serve and represent Auburn University this coming year in everything that I do from university appearances, meetings, charitable events, the Miss Alabama pageant in June, and everything in between.

The Committee of 19 is a special group at Auburn leading the War on Hunger. Since my minor is Hunger Studies and, consequently, my platform is Domestic Hunger Awareness, I always enjoy attending meetings held by this committee. On Thursday, February 3rd, I attended a meeting planned to organize the Hunger March, which is to be held on April 1st. Participants will march from Auburn to Notasulga Friday and will devote their time Saturday to community service projects around this area. I am excited for this event and for further involvement with this amazing group of students!

I was honored to visit the Auburn University Dance Marathon this past Friday, February 4th after only holding the title of Miss Auburn University 2011 for one week. Participants started dancing at 7 pm Friday night and continued on until 7 am Saturday morning. All proceeds benefited Habitat for Humanity, and over $7,000 was raised, which is really something to dance about! Seeing such dedication for such a great cause is truly inspiring, and I had a blast every moment I was there.

The following Tuesday, February 8th, the University Program Council presented its Songwriting Competition and invited me to serve on the judging panel. After hearing 12 entertaining and moving pieces entirely composed and written by Auburn University students, a winner was selected. Serving as a judge and hearing these unique songs made me appreciate Auburn students and their creativity and originality. Each one of us is crafted beautifully different from another, and we find so much strengths in these differences.

Having so much to look forward to this year and having so many opportunities and outlets to serve is still completely bewildering! I cannot wait to attend as many events as possible and to work towards domestic hunger awareness in the Auburn area.

I am looking forward to the Impact Nursing Home Prom and the University Club Mardi Gras Ball next week, and will give updates and exciting news from these events!

War Eagle & With Love,

 Emilee

No comments:

Post a Comment